Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies don’t want you quoting rates from other companies. Drivers who get price quotes annually are highly likely to switch to a new company because they have a good chance of finding lower rate quotes. A recent study showed that drivers who routinely compared rates saved an average of $3,450 over four years compared to people who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding low prices for insurance in Pittsburgh is your intention, then learning a little about how to shop and compare auto insurance can save time, money, and frustration.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find more affordable car insurance rates in Pittsburgh is to regularly compare price quotes from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Pennsylvania.
- Step 1: Try to learn about coverages and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many factors that cause rate increases like tickets, at-fault accidents, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be controlled by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article provides more ideas to get lower rates and earn a bigger discount.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit payment and a completed application to the new company. As soon as you receive it, put the new proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
A tip to remember is to make sure you enter the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price estimates from every insurance company. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
If you have insurance now, you will be able to buy cheaper insurance using the techniques presented in this article. The purpose of this post is to teach you a little about the best methods to compare rates and how you can save the most money. Nevertheless, Pennsylvania car owners benefit from understanding the way insurance companies compete online and use it to find better rates.
Insurance Premium Influencing Factors
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the elements that help determine the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that could help you find lower premium levels.
Listed below are some of the items that factor into your prices.
- Discounts for married drivers – Getting married can get you a discount when buying car insurance. Marriage means you’re more mature than a single person it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Gaps in coverage mean higher premiums – Having a gap between insurance policy dates is a sure-fire way to increase your renewal premiums. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage may earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- GPS tracking and theft deterrents lower premiums – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help stop car theft and help bring rates down.
- The type of car, truck or SUV makes a difference – The make and model of the car you own makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. The cheapest rates tend to be for the lowest performance passenger vehicles, but your final cost has many other factors.
Insurance loss statistics a Jeep Cherokee – Car insurance companies use statistical claims data to calculate a price that will offset losses. Vehicles that have higher loss trends will have higher rates.
The table below demonstrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Jeep Cherokee vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is represented as 100. Numbers under 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values that are above 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Jeep Cherokee Insurance Loss Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Jeep Cherokee 4dr 2WD 76 105 77 87 90 109 Jeep Cherokee 4dr 4WD 78 115 82 75 79 103BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Most companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive provide price estimates online. Doing online price comparisons for Jeep Cherokee insurance in Pittsburgh is quite easy because you just enter the coverage amounts you desire into the form. When the form is submitted, the quote system automatically retrieves your driving record and credit report and generates pricing information based on the information you submitted.
Quoting online for Jeep Cherokee insurance in Pittsburgh makes comparing rates easy, and it’s very important to have as many quotes as possible if you want to find the most affordable premium on insurance.
In order to compare pricing, compare rate quotes from the providers shown below. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you complete the form with coverages and limits exactly as they are listed on your policy. Doing this assures you’re receiving rate quotes using the exact same coverages.
The following companies are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Pittsburgh, PA. To get cheaper car insurance in Pennsylvania, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies in order to find the cheapest rates.
Auto insurance is not optional but you don’t have to overpay
Despite the high insurance cost for a Jeep Cherokee in Pittsburgh, buying auto insurance is required for several reasons.
First, most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your vehicle with a loan, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your Jeep at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, auto insurance preserves both your assets and your Jeep Cherokee. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your Jeep gets damaged, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having auto insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $750 every year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Get cheaper Jeep Cherokee insurance in Pittsburgh with discounts
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available to cut the cost considerably. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before being credited.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Full Payment Discount – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Driver Training Discounts – Successfully completing a class that teaches driver safety techniques can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Distant Student Discount – College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have a car could qualify for this discount.
- Senior Citizens – Mature drivers are able to get better auto insurance rates.
- Pittsburgh Homeowners Pay Less – Just being a homeowner may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few insurance companies give discounts for switching companies prior to your current Cherokee insurance policy expiring. You could save around 10% when you buy Pittsburgh car insurance online.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% depending on your auto insurance provider.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars and trucks equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Insuring multiple cars with one company could earn a price break for each car.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you aren’t that lucky.
Some of the insurance companies that may offer some of the discounts shown above possibly include:
Double check with every company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not be offered on policies in Pittsburgh.
You may require the services of an insurance agent
Many people still prefer to go talk to an agent and that is a smart decision A good thing about comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper rates and still choose a local agent.
After completing this short form, the coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Pittsburgh that give free quotes for your business. You don’t have to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to you. You can find the lowest rates and work with a local agent. If you want to get a price quote for a specific company, you just need to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on a insurance company should depend on more than just a cheap price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- How many companies do they write for?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
If you are wanting to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide pricing for a single company such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so you might not find the best rates. These agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers often use the same agent mainly due to the brand name and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Listed below are Pittsburgh exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give rate quotes.
- Steve Heller – State Farm Insurance Agent
146 Forest Hills Rd – Pittsburgh, PA 15221 – (412) 824-4800 – View Map
- Lindsay Brown – State Farm Insurance Agent
300 Cedar Blvd #205 – Pittsburgh, PA 15228 – (412) 344-3030 – View Map
- Steve Long – State Farm Insurance Agent
2830 W Liberty Ave – Pittsburgh, PA 15216 – (412) 531-5600 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents often have many company appointments so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If prices rise, your policy is moved internally and you can keep the same agent.
When comparison shopping, you will want to get insurance quotes from several independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Many write coverage with mutual insurance companies which may have better rates.
Below are independent insurance agents in Pittsburgh willing to provide rate quotes.
- McElhinny Insurance Agency LLC
5624 Brownsville Rd – Pittsburgh, PA 15236 – (412) 650-5700 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Swenson Insurance Inc
234 Shady Ave – Pittsburgh, PA 15206 – (412) 362-8340 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Joshua Michael Dott Agency
513 Towne Square Way – Pittsburgh, PA 15227 – (412) 927-2400 – View Map
Which auto insurance company is best in Pennsylvania?
Buying coverage from a good quality car insurance provider is hard considering how many choices you have in Pennsylvania. The information shown next may help you decide which car insurance providers to look at when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 93%
- The Hartford – 93%
- The General – 91%
- Progressive – 90%
- 21st Century – 89%
- USAA – 87%
- Erie Insurance – 87%
- State Farm – 87%
- Travelers – 87%
- Safeco Insurance – 86%
Top 10 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- 21st Century
Will just any policy work for me?
When quoting and comparing the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether you could use an agent’s help.
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Should I waive the damage coverage when renting a car?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Quote. Compare. Save.
Low-cost Jeep Cherokee insurance in Pittsburgh is available from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed collision coverage and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of techniques to lower your Jeep Cherokee insurance auto insurance rates in Pittsburgh. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from an unexpected company.
To learn more, link through to these articles:
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Pittsburgh Auto Insurance for Uninsured Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Government Employees in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)