It’s astonishing, but the vast majority of consumers in Pennsylvania have been with the same company for over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared quotes from other companies. The average driver in the U.S. could pocket $860 a year just by comparing rates, but they don’t know the benefits if they bought a different policy.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to find cheaper quotes for Chevy Silverado insurance is to regularly compare quotes from insurers who can sell car insurance in Pittsburgh. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about how companies set rates and the modifications you can make to keep rates down. Many rating factors that increase rates such as tickets, at-fault accidents, and a not-so-good credit history can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. This article gives additional ideas to get cheaper rates and find hidden discounts.
Step 2: Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple companies. View prices
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company of your intent to cancel your existing policy and submit a down payment along with a signed application to your new insurance company. Once received, safely store the proof of insurance paperwork with the vehicle registration.
A good piece of advice is to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every price quote and and to get price estimates from as many different companies as possible. Doing this enables a level playing field and and a good selection of different prices.
Finding the cheapest car insurance coverage in Pittsburgh is quite easy if you know the best way to do it. If you already have coverage, you should be able to find the best rates using these methods. Smart shoppers just have to understand the proper way to compare insurance rates from many different companies.
Lower Insurance Rates with These Tips
Part of the insurance buying process is learning some of the things that help calculate your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that may result in lower rates. Many different elements are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but some are not as apparent like where you live or your commute time.
The following are a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Marriage equates to better prices – Having a spouse may save some money when buying insurance. Marriage generally demonstrates drivers are more mature and responsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married couples file fewer claims.
- Bump up comp and collision deductibles to lower rates – Protection for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some examples of claims that would be covered are collision with another vehicle, vandalism, and damage from a fallen tree branch. Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. The larger the amount you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
Don’t get traffic citations – Having just one ticket can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Good drivers have lower premiums compared to bad drivers. People who have severe citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to submit a SR-22 form with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
The information below highlights how traffic violations and fender-benders raise Chevy Silverado insurance costs for each age group. The costs are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
- Safer the car lower the rate – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Vehicles built for safety reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates. If your Chevy Silverado scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may pay a lower rate.
- No insurance gaps is important – Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a revoked license or a big fine. You will then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Pennsylvania motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Extra coverages you don’t need – Insurance companies have many additional extra coverages that you can buy on your Silverado policy. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, better glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships are probably not needed. These coverages may sound good when discussing your needs, but if you have no use for them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Insurance loss data for Chevy Silverado vehicles – Companies take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle when they calculate premium costs for each model. Models that the statistics show to have higher claim amounts or frequency will be charged more to insure. The information below illustrates the actual insurance loss data for Chevy Silverado vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles combined as an average is a value of 100. Values under 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while percentage numbers above 100 point to more claims or statistically larger losses.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Silverado Models Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD 76 118 85 78 69 125 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD 60 76 72 54 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 89 103 131 77 70 94 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4WD 96 105 116 57 57 87 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD 90 126 100 88 85 117 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD 84 98 89 60 60 88 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 2WD 60 65 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD 66 97 66 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 2WD 76 127 65 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4WD 88 114 97 45 42 82 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 2WD 80 54 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4WD 79 105 83 37 43 75 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4WD 65 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD 98 127 108 54 39 76 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Ext Cab 4WD 129 127BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
The best way to compare car insurance company rates for Chevy Silverado insurance in Pittsburgh is to realize auto insurance companies will pay a fee to provide you with free rate quotes. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is provide a little information such as the year, make and model of vehicles, your education level, if you have an active license, and how your vehicles are used. That rating data is automatically sent to many different companies and you get price estimates within a short period of time.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here and enter your zip code.
The providers in the list below offer free rate quotes in Pennsylvania. To find cheap car insurance in Pittsburgh, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Detailed insurance information
The information shown next outlines different prices for Chevy Silverado models. Understanding more about how insurance prices are established can aid in making decisions on the best policy coverages.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$190||$348||$350||$20||$104||$1,012||$84|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$190||$348||$310||$18||$92||$958||$80|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$218||$424||$350||$20||$104||$1,116||$93|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$218||$424||$350||$20||$104||$1,116||$93|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$218||$424||$310||$18||$92||$1,062||$89|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$218||$424||$310||$18||$92||$1,062||$89|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$218||$424||$350||$20||$104||$1,116||$93|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$218||$424||$350||$20||$104||$1,116||$93|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$246||$500||$310||$18||$92||$1,166||$97|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$246||$500||$350||$20||$104||$1,220||$102|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$246||$500||$310||$18||$92||$1,166||$97|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$246||$500||$350||$20||$104||$1,220||$102|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$246||$500||$350||$20||$104||$1,220||$102|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$246||$500||$310||$18||$92||$1,166||$97|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$246||$500||$350||$20||$104||$1,220||$102|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$246||$500||$310||$18||$92||$1,166||$97|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$246||$576||$310||$18||$92||$1,242||$104|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$274||$576||$310||$18||$92||$1,270||$106|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and safe-driver. Price information does not factor in specific Pittsburgh garaging location which can affect coverage rates noticeably.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The chart below shows the comparison of Chevy Silverado auto insurance costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The rate quotes are based on no violations or accidents, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There is no clear-cut rule that is best for determining when to drop full coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than around 10% of the vehicle’s replacement cost less your deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Chevy Silverado replacement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $3,000 after paying your deductible. If premiums are more than $300 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some circumstances where dropping physical damage coverage is not financially feasible. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you must maintain physical damage coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Three reasons to insure your Silverado
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Chevy Silverado in Pittsburgh, paying for auto insurance is required in Pennsylvania but also provides important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a loan, almost all lenders will force you to carry insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may insure your Chevy for a much higher rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects both your car and your assets. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying auto insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Pittsburgh is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so you should quote rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Discounts for affordable auto insurance quotes
Companies don’t necessarily list all their discounts very clearly, so the following list contains some of the best known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Pittsburgh auto insurance online.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease but check with your company.
- Discount for Life Insurance – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers may qualify for a small discount on rates.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company they may give you a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it doesn’t quite work that way.
The diagram below shows the comparison of Chevy Silverado auto insurance costs with and without discounts. The premium estimates are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no claims, Pennsylvania state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, marriage, multi-car, and claim-free discounts applied.
A few companies that may have these money-saving discounts possibly include:
Before you buy a policy, ask every company which discounts can lower your rates. Savings may not be offered in your area. To see a list of insurers with discount rates in Pittsburgh, follow this link.
Independent and exclusive car insurance agents
Some people would prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is not a bad decision Good agents are highly skilled in risk management and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you can get cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
After completing this short form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who want to provide quotes for your business. There is no reason to drive around since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you want to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurer requires more thought than just the price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Pittsburgh?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Pennsylvania?
- How many companies do they write for?
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a good Pittsburgh insurance agent, you should know the different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Agencies in Pittsburgh may be either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can write policy coverage, but it is important to understand how they differ since it can impact which agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents write business for a single company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on what they offer which can be an advantage. Some consumers prefer to choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of high brand loyalty instead of buying on price only.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Pittsburgh who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Eric Morris – State Farm Insurance Agent
2015 Babcock Blvd – Pittsburgh, PA 15209 – (412) 821-0225 – View Map
- David Masters – State Farm Insurance Agent
1900 Murray Ave – Pittsburgh, PA 15217 – (412) 422-1616 – View Map
- GEICO Insurance Agent
9026 St Simon Way – Pittsburgh, PA 15237 – (412) 364-7170 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents are normally appointed by many insurers so they can write business with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. To move your coverage to a new company, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, you will want to get some free quotes from independent agents in order to have the best price comparison. Most also write with less well-known companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Shown below are independent insurance agencies in Pittsburgh that can give you price quotes.
- Dowd Insurance Agency Inc
998, Greensburg Pike – East Pittsburgh, PA 15112 – (412) 271-5477 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Barry Lumsden
600 Grant St – Pittsburgh, PA 15219 – (412) 415-1954 – View Map
- Joe Vojtas Agency – ERIE Insurance
9800B McKnight Rd #226 – Pittsburgh, PA 15237 – (412) 847-3743 – View Map
Ratings for Pittsburgh auto insurance companies
Buying coverage from a highly-rated insurance company is difficult considering how many companies provide coverage in Pittsburgh. The information in the lists below may help you select which car insurance companies you want to consider comparing prices from.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Everyone needs different car insurance coverages
Always remember that when buying the best car insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique and your car insurance should be unique as well.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Should I waive the damage coverage when renting a car?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my Chevy Silverado?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
One last note
We just showed you many tips how you can reduce Chevy Silverado insurance prices online in Pittsburgh. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies often have lower rates on specific markets compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
Cost effective Chevy Silverado insurance is possible online as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not provide online rate quotes and usually these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
For more information, feel free to visit the following helpful articles:
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Real Estate Agents in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Pittsburgh Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Pittsburgh Auto Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Ride Shares in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)