If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to quote cheaper Scion tC insurance in Pittsburgh is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurers who provide car insurance in Pennsylvania. Rate comparisons can be done by completing these steps.
- Get a basic knowledge of how auto insurance works and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many risk factors that drive up the price such as accidents, traffic tickets, and a bad credit rating can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices for many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your current company to cancel your current coverage and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to the newly selected company. As soon as you can, keep your new certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location.
One thing to remember is that you’ll want to compare the same level of coverage on every price quote and and to get price estimates from as many carriers as you can. This helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough price selection.
Unbelievably, the vast majority of car insurance customers have been with the same company for more than four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even shopped around for affordable coverage. Most drivers in Pennsylvania could save themselves almost $700 a year by just comparing quotes, but most tend to underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they switched.
Our goal in writing this article let you in on how to effectively get price quotes and some money-saving tips. If you are insured now, you will most likely be able to lower your rates using the concepts you’re about to learn. But Pennsylvania car owners benefit from understanding how companies charge you for coverage and use it to find better rates.
Affordable Scion insurance rates in Pittsburgh
The following companies provide free quotes in Pennsylvania. In order to find the best auto insurance in Pittsburgh, PA, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Statistics and details
The rate table displayed below outlines detailed analysis of insurance prices for Scion tC models. Having a better idea how policy premiums are established can help you make smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|TC 2-Dr Hatchback||$198||$530||$534||$32||$160||$1,454||$121|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and homeowner. Price estimates do not factor in specific Pittsburgh garaging location which can change premium rates greatly.
Poor driving habits will raise your insurance rates
The example below shows how traffic citations and fender-benders raise Scion tC insurance rates for each age group. The premiums assume a single male driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Insurance rates by gender and age in Pittsburgh
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Scion tC insurance costs for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no claims or violations, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage?
The illustration below shows the difference between Scion tC insurance prices with full coverage and liability only. The data is based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no set rule for eliminating comp and collision coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Scion tC claim settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would get paid by your company is $5,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying over $500 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some situations where buying only liability insurance is not recommended. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not eliminate full coverage.
These ten discounts can slash Scion tC insurance rates
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there may be some discounts that you may not even know about. Most are applied at quote time, but a few must be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit.
- Distant College Student Discount – Youth drivers living away from Pittsburgh attending college and leave their car at home could qualify for this discount.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of 20% or more.
- Early Signing – A few insurance companies allow discounts for switching to them before your current coverage expires. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just owning your own home can save a few bucks because it shows financial diligence.
- Life Insurance Discount – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a set time period.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers may receive a small discount on rates.
- Driver Safety – Completing a course in driver safety is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed in the military can result in better insurance rates.
- E-sign Discounts – A few companies will give you a small discount get Pittsburgh auto insurance digitally online.
One last thing about discounts, most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way.
The diagram below shows the difference between Scion tC yearly insurance costs with and without policy discounts. Data assumes a female driver, a clean driving record, no claims, Pennsylvania state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, and homeowner discounts applied.
The best insurance companies and the discounts they provide are outlined below.
- State Farm has discounts for student away at school, good student, safe vehicle, anti-theft, and multiple autos.
- Nationwide offers discounts for family plan, easy pay, multi-policy, business or organization, anti-theft, defensive driving, and accident-free.
- GEICO discounts include anti-theft, military active duty, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, seat belt use, and air bags.
- AAA may have discounts that include pay-in-full, anti-theft, education and occupation, good driver, multi-car, and AAA membership discount.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, air bags, defensive driver, student driver, and anti-lock brakes.
- The Hartford has savings for good student, bundle, driver training, defensive driver, air bag, anti-theft, and vehicle fuel type.
Before buying, ask all the companies which discounts can lower your rates. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered on policies in your area.
What if I want to buy from local Pittsburgh auto insurance agents?
Many drivers still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision A nice benefit of comparing insurance online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is definitely important in Pittsburgh.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Pittsburgh who can give free rate quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for an agent because prices are sent directly to you. You’ll get the best rates and work with a local agent. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific insurance provider, you can always jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Insurance agent types
When finding a good insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents and how they can write your policy. Insurance agencies in Pittsburgh are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Agents that choose to be independent do not have single company limitations and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and get you the best rates possible. If prices rise, they simply switch companies in-house without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing insurance prices, we recommend you contact a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
Listed below are Pittsburgh independent agencies that can possibly get you free price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type work for only one company like Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are well trained on the products they sell which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Pittsburgh who can help you get price quote information.
Picking an insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- How long has their agency been open in Pittsburgh?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
Once you have reasonable responses to any questions you may have and a good coverage price, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that is reputable and can service your policy.
The coverage is in the details
Learning about specific coverages of car insurance can help you determine the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverages available from car insurance companies.
Collision coverage protection
This covers damage to your tC from colliding with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers claims such as crashing into a ditch, driving through your garage door and backing into a parked car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. You can also raise the deductible on your tC to save money on collision insurance.
This pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as vandalism, hail damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and hitting a bird. The highest amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (Pennsylvania limits are 15/30/5), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently these coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Coverage for liability
Liability insurance will cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property in an accident. It protects YOU from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 15/30/5 that translate to $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property. Another option is a combined single limit or CSL which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability can pay for things like court costs, bail bonds and legal defense fees. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. Pennsylvania state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The next chart demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be high enough to cover claims.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for expenses for prosthetic devices, ambulance fees, surgery and rehabilitation expenses. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers both the driver and occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Be persistent to save money
Affordable Scion tC insurance in Pittsburgh is possible online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to shop Pittsburgh auto insurance with both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies may not have rates over the internet and usually these small insurance companies sell through local independent agencies.
We’ve covered many tips how you can compare Scion tC insurance prices in Pittsburgh. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like Allstate or State Farm.
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Pittsburgh Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 50? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Hybrid Vehicles in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota RAV4 in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a Ford Escape in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda Accord in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)