Trying to come up with a payment for overpriced car insurance can consume your personal savings and require stricter spending habits. Comparing cost estimates is an excellent way to lower your monthly bill.
It’s an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. Drivers who compare other prices will presumably buy a new policy because there is a good chance of finding a more affordable policy premium. A survey found that drivers who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved as much as $865 annually compared to other drivers who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding budget-friendly rates on Toyota Tacoma insurance in Pittsburgh is why you’re reading this, then having some knowledge of how to shop and compare coverages can make it easier for you to save money.
Steps to finding affordable quotes for Toyota Tacoma insurance in Pittsburgh
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find low-cost Toyota Tacoma insurance is to compare prices annually from different companies in Pittsburgh.
Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can control to keep rates low. Many things that are responsible for high rates like speeding and a low credit score can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Step 4: Provide written notification to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a down payment along with a signed application to the new company. Make sure you place your new certificate verifying coverage along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you enter similar limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get price estimates from all possible companies. This ensures an accurate price comparison and the best rate selection.
There are many insurance companies to buy insurance from, and although it’s nice to be able to choose, so many choices can make it hard to find the lowest cost provider for Toyota Tacoma insurance in Pittsburgh.
It’s smart to get comparison quotes periodically because prices change quite often. Just because you had the best rates on Toyota Tacoma insurance in Pittsburgh a couple years back other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because I’m going to teach you one of the best ways to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Cheapest car insurance in Pittsburgh, PA
The car insurance companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Pennsylvania. To locate cheaper car insurance in Pittsburgh, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to get the cheapest price.
Detailed insurance information
The information shown next showcases detailed analysis of insurance prices for Toyota Tacoma models. Having insight into how policy premiums are calculated is important for you to make informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$236||$346||$432||$26||$130||$1,170||$98|
|Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$236||$408||$432||$26||$130||$1,232||$103|
|Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$266||$346||$432||$26||$130||$1,200||$100|
|Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road Package 4WD||$266||$346||$432||$26||$130||$1,200||$100|
|Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Package 4WD||$266||$346||$432||$26||$130||$1,200||$100|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, and claim-free. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can raise or lower premiums noticeably.
The information below highlights how deductible choice and can impact Toyota Tacoma insurance premiums for different age groups. The costs are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
How much more does full coverage cost in Pittsburgh?
The example below shows the difference between Toyota Tacoma car insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Pennsylvania. The information is based on no claims, a clean driving record, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There is no definitive formula that is best for determining when to drop full coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Toyota Tacoma replacement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company would pay you is $2,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premium cost is more than $200 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping physical damage coverage is not recommended. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Toyota Tacoma Insurance Rate Factors
When buying car insurance it’s important to understand a few of the rating criteria that help calculate car insurance rates. If you understand what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that may result in much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes most of the major factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set prices.
Fast cars cost more to insure – The performance of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in determining your rates. The lowest base rates tend to be for economy passenger vehicles, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The next chart is based on a single female driver age 50, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The data compares Toyota Tacoma rates compared to other models of vehicles that have different performances.
- If you don’t need it don’t buy it – Insurance companies have many additional coverages that may not really be needed on your car insurance policy. Coverage for things like vanishing deductibles, better glass coverage, and term life insurance may not be needed and are just wasting money. The coverages may be enticing initially, but your needs may have changed so remove them and pocket the money.
- Liability coverage claims can be big – The liability section of your policy will protect you if ever a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability provides for a legal defense which can cost a lot. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Get married and get cheaper rates – Getting married can actually save you money when shopping for car insurance. Having a spouse means you’re more financially stable and insurance companies like that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Guys pay higher rates – Statistics show females are less aggressive when driving. Now that doesn’t mean males are worse at driving than females. Women and men cause auto accidents in similar percentages, but guys get into accidents with more damage. In addition to higher claims, males also have more aggressive citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Toyota Tacoma insurance rates for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Toyota Tacoma claim statistics – Insurers use past insurance losses to help calculate premium rates. Vehicles that are shown to have a trend towards higher claims will have a higher premium rate. The next table illustrates the loss history for Toyota Tacoma vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is equal to 100. Values that are below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while numbers that are greater than 100 point to more claims or tendency to have larger claims.
Toyota Tacoma Insurance Claim Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 2WD 79 109 70 77 76 92 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD 82 104 84 64 56 77 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab LWB 2WD 87 108 74 96 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab LWB 4WD 84 104 88 68 57 79 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 2WD 80 105 60 86 75 96 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab 4WD 71 90 77 48 51 65BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
You may qualify for discounts for Toyota Tacoma insurance in Pittsburgh
Car insurance can be pricey, but there’s a good chance there are discounts to reduce the price significantly. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but a few need to be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Seniors may be able to get reduced rates.
- Accident Waiver – This one is not really a discount per se, but certain companies will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase if your claims history is clear before the accident.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Adding a new car to your policy can save you some money because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems help deter theft and earn discounts up to 10% off your Pittsburgh car insurance quote.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring primary and secondary vehicles with the same company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same company you could earn a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers have much lower rates compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Own a Home and Save – Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings since owning and maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Maintaining low annual mileage can earn slightly better rates than normal.
We need to note that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that’s just not realistic.
The example below illustrates the comparison of Toyota Tacoma insurance rates with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The premiums are based on a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, Pennsylvania state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-car, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, and marriage discounts applied.
A few companies that have most of the discounts above include:
If you need lower rates, check with all the companies how many discounts you can get. Some discounts may not apply to policyholders in Pittsburgh. To choose car insurance companies that offer discounts in Pennsylvania, follow this link.
Insurance quotes from local neighborhood Pittsburgh car insurance agents
Some consumers just prefer to have an agent’s advice. Professional agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. The best thing about price shopping on the web is you may find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. And supporting local insurance agents is important particularly in Pittsburgh.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your information is submitted to local insurance agents in Pittsburgh who will give competitive quotes to get your business. There is no need to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered immediately to you. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Pittsburgh for you
If you are wanting to find a reliable insurance agent, you should know the different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Insurance policy providers can either be independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both sell affordable insurance policies, but it’s worth mentioning how they differ since it could factor into which type of agent you select.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies with lots of companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move the coverage in-house which requires no work on your part.
When searching for an agent, it’s recommended you get some free quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
Featured below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Pittsburgh that may be able to give you free insurance quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only quote rates from one company and examples are AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. They are unable to shop your coverage around so always compare other rates. These agents are very knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below is a list of exclusive agents in Pittsburgh that can give you comparison quotes.
Finding the right insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price quote. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
Quote often and quote early
We just showed you some good ideas how to lower your Toyota Tacoma insurance car insurance rates in Pittsburgh. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small local company. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower premium rates as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
Some insurance providers may not offer internet price quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agencies. Cheaper Toyota Tacoma insurance in Pittsburgh can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in Pittsburgh, so you should compare both to have the best selection.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Steps to buying discount Toyota Tacoma insurance in Pittsburgh
The easiest way to get more affordable Toyota Tacoma insurance is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from different companies that insure vehicles in Pittsburgh. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, try to comprehend auto insurance and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that result in higher prices like speeding tickets, accidents and a not-so-good credit rating can be remedied by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Second, obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates now
- Third, compare the new rates to your existing coverage and determine if there is any savings. If you find better rates and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, tell your current company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a signed application and payment for your new policy. As soon as you can, keep the new proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location.
The most important part of shopping around is to compare similar coverage information on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from every company you can. This guarantees a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
Even more information can be found in these articles:
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Hyundai Sonata in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Pittsburgh Auto Insurance for Welfare Recipients? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Pittsburgh Auto Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Retired Military in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)