The preferred way to get cheaper Acura ILX insurance in Pittsburgh is to do an annual price comparison from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Pennsylvania. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- It will benefit you to learn about car insurance and the measures you can take to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that cause high rates such as careless driving and a negative credit score can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. This article gives instructions to prevent high rates and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
- Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rates to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Provide notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit payment and a completed application to the new company. Once coverage is bound, keep your new certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One bit of advice is to try to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote and and to analyze as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that about 70% of customers renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and nearly half have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. The average driver in Pennsylvania could save themselves 55% a year, but they underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switch to a new company.
Finding and buying the most affordable car insurance coverage in Pittsburgh is not as time-consuming as you think. If you have insurance now or are just looking to switch companies, you can follow these tips to cut your premiums without reducing coverage. You just have to understand the proper methods to compare different rates using one simple form.
Earn discounts on Pittsburgh auto insurance
Some companies do not advertise every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you.
- Waiver for an Accident – This isn’t a discount exactly, but a few companies such as GEICO and Liberty Mutual allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Professional Memberships – Belonging to qualifying employment or professional organizations could earn you a nice discount when getting a Pittsburgh auto insurance quote.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying monthly you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Military Rewards – Being on active deployment in the military can result in better auto insurance rates.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems help deter theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Student Discounts – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up to age 25.
- Federal Government Employee – Federal government employees could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up before driving could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
You should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts can be read below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for air bags, membership and employees, anti-theft, military active duty, federal employee, five-year accident-free, and good student.
- USAA discounts include driver training, defensive driver, family discount, vehicle storage, multi-policy, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-policy, good student, homeowner, online signing, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- American Family may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, TimeAway discount, accident-free, air bags, mySafetyValet, and good driver.
- Esurance includes discounts for defensive driver, homeowner, multi-policy, anti-theft, and online quote.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for good student, homeowner, mature driver, multi-car, teen driver, youthful driver, and early shopping.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good student, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, good driver, anti-theft, and multiple autos.
If you are trying to find affordable Pittsburgh auto insurance quotes, ask every insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. A few discounts may not apply in Pittsburgh. To see a list of auto insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Pennsylvania, click here to view.
The method we recommend to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to know the fact most of the larger companies participate in a system to compare their rates. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is give the companies some data including if your license is active, whether you are married, driver details, and an estimate of your credit level. Your rating data is instantly provided to many highly-rated insurers and you will receive price estimates instantly.
To check Acura ILX insurance prices now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Pittsburgh.
The companies shown below offer price quotes in Pennsylvania. To get cheaper car insurance in Pennsylvania, we suggest you get rates from several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
When should I talk to an insurance agent?
Some people would prefer to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional agents can help you build your policy and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get lower auto insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with local agents is still important in Pittsburgh.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to companies in Pittsburgh that provide free Pittsburgh auto insurance quotes for your business. You won’t even need to contact any agents due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific company, you would need to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
When researching a reliable insurance agency, there are two types of agencies from which to choose. Agents in Pittsburgh are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both can write car insurance policies, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in how they write coverage since it can impact the selection process.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents in the independent channel often have many company appointments and that allows them to write policies with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. If they quote lower rates, they simply switch companies in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, it’s recommended you include a couple of independent agencies to have the best price comparison.
Below is a small list of independent agents in Pittsburgh that may be able to give pricing information.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company such as State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
The following are exclusive insurance agencies in Pittsburgh who can help you get comparison quotes.
Picking the best auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
Why you need ILX insurance in Pennsylvania
Despite the high cost, insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your ILX, most lenders will require you to have full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Acura at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays more than $810 a year so smart consumers compare quotes at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Car insurance 101
Having a good grasp of a auto insurance policy can help you determine appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Shown next are the usual coverages found on the average auto insurance policy.
Comprehensive protection – This coverage pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like hail damage, vandalism, damage from getting keyed, hitting a deer and falling objects. The most a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Collision – Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your ILX from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for claims such as hitting a parking meter, rolling your car, damaging your car on a curb and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your ILX to get cheaper collision coverage.
Liability – Liability insurance will cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property. Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have values of 15/30/5 which stand for a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, loss of income, medical services and medical expenses. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Pennsylvania requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Medical expense coverage – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for bills like nursing services, funeral costs and hospital visits. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover all vehicle occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – This coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Acura ILX.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (Pennsylvania limits are 15/30/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked. Frequently these limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Find cheaper rates by being thorough
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to lower your Acura ILX insurance prices in Pittsburgh. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a small mutual company. Some small companies often have lower rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Cheaper Acura ILX insurance in Pittsburgh can be bought both online in addition to many Pittsburgh insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies don’t offer online rate quotes and usually these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agents.
Even more information can be found in the articles below:
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Nissan Sentra in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Infrequent Drivers in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Government Employees in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)