It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get the cheapest Dodge Ram insurance in Pittsburgh is to start comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Pennsylvania. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Read about how auto insurance works and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates such as speeding tickets, accidents and a not-so-good credit rating can be controlled by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Step 2: Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a down payment along with a signed application to the new company. As soon as you receive it, store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
A crucial key to this process is to compare similar coverage information on every price quote and and to get rates from as many different insurance providers as possible. This enables an accurate price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
It’s safe to assume that auto insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. People who get comparison quotes at least once a year are inclined to buy a different policy because they have good chances of finding better rates. A recent survey revealed that people who compared rates once a year saved about $70 a month compared to those who never compared rates.
If finding budget-friendly rates on Dodge Ram insurance is your ultimate objective, then having an understanding of how to get price quotes and compare insurance can make shopping around easier.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer price quotes in Pittsburgh, PA. To find cheap car insurance in Pittsburgh, PA, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Here’s why insurance is not optional
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Dodge in Pittsburgh, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in Pennsylvania but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Dodge Ram, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you carry insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your Dodge for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards your car and your assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your Ram more than offset the price you pay, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. As of last year, the average driver in Pennsylvania is overpaying more than $800 each year so we recommend shopping around every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Rates and detailed analysis
The premium table displayed next highlights different policy rates for Dodge Ram models. Understanding how insurance rates are calculated can assist in making smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$278||$484||$450||$26||$134||$1,372||$114|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$314||$588||$450||$26||$134||$1,512||$126|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$314||$588||$450||$26||$134||$1,512||$126|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$314||$588||$450||$26||$134||$1,512||$126|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$314||$588||$450||$26||$134||$1,512||$126|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$314||$588||$450||$26||$134||$1,512||$126|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$314||$588||$450||$26||$134||$1,512||$126|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$314||$588||$450||$26||$134||$1,512||$126|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$314||$588||$450||$26||$134||$1,512||$126|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$350||$694||$450||$26||$134||$1,654||$138|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$350||$798||$450||$26||$134||$1,758||$147|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$350||$798||$450||$26||$134||$1,758||$147|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Pennsylvania minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Rates do not factor in your specific Pittsburgh location which can decrease or increase coverage prices greatly.
The information below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can change Dodge Ram insurance rates for each different age category. The information is based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no policy discounts are applied.
Accidents and violations increase rates
The chart below demonstrates how traffic citations and accident claims can increase Dodge Ram car insurance costs for each different age group. The premiums are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Male drivers versus female drivers
The diagram below shows the comparison of Dodge Ram insurance costs for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The chart below illustrates the difference between Dodge Ram insurance prices when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The prices are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There isn’t a steadfast formula that works best for making the decision to drop physical damage coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Dodge Ram settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $800 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some scenarios where eliminating full coverage is not recommended. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Don’t neglect these rate reducing discounts
Some insurance providers don’t always advertise every discount available very well, so the following list contains both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious ways to save on insurance. If you do not double check each discount available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Military Discounts – Being on active deployment in the military could mean lower insurance rates.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Pittsburgh Homeowners Pay Less – Being a homeowner can get you a discount due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
As a footnote on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way.
The example below compares Dodge Ram auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The data is based on a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Pennsylvania state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, homeowner, marriage, multi-car, multi-policy, and claim-free discounts applied.
A list of companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, continuous coverage, good student, and online quote discount.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, homeowner, multi-car, anti-theft, bundle discounts, and accident prevention training.
- American Family has savings for air bags, accident-free, good driver, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife discounts include claim-free, defensive driver, good driver, good student, and multi-policy.
- GEICO may have discounts that include five-year accident-free, military active duty, air bags, driver training, anti-theft, daytime running lights, and anti-lock brakes.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for bundle, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, air bag, driver training, and good student.
When quoting, ask every insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts might not be offered in Pittsburgh. To locate insurers who offer insurance discounts in Pittsburgh, click this link.
There’s no such thing as the perfect insurance policy
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is a little different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For example, these questions may help highlight if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- If my pet gets injured in an accident are they covered?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- What does medical payments cover?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
How to find a good Pittsburgh car insurance company
Picking a high-quality insurance provider is difficult considering how many choices you have in Pennsylvania. The rank data shown next can help you pick which auto insurance companies you want to consider when comparing rate quotes.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies