We don’t have to point out that fact that car insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Consumers who shop around annually will probably buy a different policy because there is a significant possibility of finding a policy with better rates. A recent car insurance study revealed that consumers who routinely shopped for cheaper coverage saved approximately $72 a month compared to policyholders who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the cheapest rates on Ford Freestyle insurance in Pittsburgh is your intention, then having an understanding of the best way to compare coverages can make it easier to find better rates.
The easiest way to quote cheaper Ford Freestyle insurance is to annually compare prices from companies who provide car insurance in Pittsburgh. Drivers can shop around by following these steps.
- Get a basic knowledge of policy coverages and the steps you can take to drop your rates. Many risk factors that increase rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and an imperfect credit score can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes for many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you’ll want to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to look at as many different companies as possible. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a complete price analysis.
This information will introduce you to how to compare rates easily and how to save the most money. If you have a policy now, you will definitely be able to find better prices using the concepts covered in this article. Comparison shoppers just have to learn the proper way to buy car insurance from many companies at once.
Take policy discounts and save on Ford Freestyle insurance in Pittsburgh
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Student Discounts – Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up to age 25.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a driver safety course could earn you a small percentage discount depending on where you live.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active deployment in the military could qualify you for better car insurance rates.
- Auto/Life Discount – Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower rate if you buy a life policy as well.
- Student Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers participate in a local driver’s education class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Drivers who insure multiple cars with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- Senior Citizens – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may receive better car insurance rates.
- College Student – Kids who live away from home at college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- No Claim Discounts – Good drivers with no accidents can earn big discounts as compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not a discount per se, but some insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
Just know that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy. Any amount of discount will lower the amount you have to pay.
A few of the larger companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, good student, driver training, renewal discount, and youthful driver.
- MetLife includes discounts for good student, accident-free, claim-free, good driver, defensive driver, and multi-policy.
- Progressive has discounts for homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-policy, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- AAA may have discounts that include multi-car, education and occupation, good driver, pay-in-full, multi-policy, and good student.
- American Family has savings for Steer into Savings, good student, multi-vehicle, TimeAway discount, defensive driver, and good driver.
- GEICO discounts include membership and employees, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and emergency military deployment.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver’s education, good student, safe vehicle, good driver, and anti-theft.
Before purchasing a policy, check with all companies you are considering which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not be available to policyholders in your state. To see companies who offer online Ford Freestyle insurance quotes in Pittsburgh, follow this link.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Pennsylvania. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the lowest price.
Insurance Price Influencing Factors
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that are used to determine the price you pay for car insurance. When you understand what determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find lower premium levels.
- GPS tracking and theft deterrents reduce rates – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you some money. Advanced theft deterrents such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all aid in stopping auto theft.
- Long commutes cost more – The more you drive your Ford each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers calculate rates determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage can be on a lower rate level as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Incorrect rating for your Freestyle is throwing money out the window. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet is showing annual mileage, because it can save money.
- Do you really need the extra coverages? – There are a lot of optional add-on coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Insurance for things like vanishing deductibles, accidental death, and Farm Bureau memberships could be just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment when discussing your needs, but if you’ve never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The type of car or truck you need insurance for makes a huge difference in your rates. The most favorable rates are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Responsible credit scores equal low premiums – Credit score is a big factor in calculating your premium rate. If your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you could save money insuring your Ford Freestyle by spending a little time repairing your credit. People with very good credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than those with bad credit.
- Use but don’t abuse your insurance – Car insurance companies in Pennsylvania provide the best rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either higher rates or even cancellation. Your car insurance is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When selecting proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is a little different and your insurance should unique, too. For example, these questions may help highlight whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- How high should deductibles be on a Ford Freestyle?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Pennsylvania?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
What if I want to buy from local Pittsburgh auto insurance agents?
A small number of people would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Experienced insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. An additional benefit of comparing insurance online is you can get lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is especially important in Pittsburgh.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, your information is transmitted to insurance agents in Pittsburgh that can provide free Pittsburgh car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go directly to you. If you want to compare rates from a specific insurance provider, don’t hesitate to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
If you want to buy insurance from a local Pittsburgh insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agents that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Pittsburgh can either be exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either type can handle insurance, but it is a good idea to know how they are different because it can influence your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents are not required to write business for one company so they can write business amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If premiums increase, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to find a new agent.
If you need cheaper insurance rates, we recommend you include price quotes from multiple independent agents in order to compare the most rates.
Shown below is a short list of independent agencies in Pittsburgh that may be able to give pricing information.
James L Smith Insurance Agency Inc
304 Cochran Rd – Pittsburgh, PA 15228 – (800) 701-5909 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only provide one company’s prices such as State Farm or Allstate. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agencies are well trained on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Pittsburgh who can help you get comparison quotes.
Finding the right auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. These questions are important to ask:
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- What companies can they write with?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Pennsylvania?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Is there a local claims center in Pittsburgh?
Why you need to buy auto insurance
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Ford Freestyle, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Ford at a more expensive rate and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards both your car and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying auto insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. But the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so we recommend shopping around at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
What is the best auto insurance company in Pennsylvania?
Buying coverage from a highly-rated car insurance provider is hard considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Pittsburgh. The ranking information shown next can help you decide which insurers to look at when shopping your coverage around.
Top 10 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- 21st Century
Top 10 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 93%
- The Hartford – 93%
- The General – 91%
- Progressive – 90%
- 21st Century – 89%
- USAA – 87%
- Erie Insurance – 87%
- State Farm – 87%
- Travelers – 87%
- Safeco Insurance – 86%
Car insurance savings summarized
There are still a few companies who do not provide online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies only sell through local independent agencies. Budget-conscious Ford Freestyle insurance can be sourced from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, so you need to compare both to have the best selection.
We covered a lot of tips how to compare Ford Freestyle insurance premium rates in Pittsburgh. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting cheaper Pittsburgh car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best price on car insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies. These companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
For more information, take a look at these articles:
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Pittsburgh Car Insurance for a Nissan Versa? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Hyundai Elantra in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota RAV4 in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)