Amazingly, about 70% of customers kept their policy with the same company for well over three years, and almost half have never compared quotes from other companies. With the average premium in Pennsylvania being $1,363, drivers could save approximately 55% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they won’t spend time to compare rates online.
The preferred way to save money on Subaru Baja insurance is to begin comparing prices regularly from different companies in Pittsburgh.
- First, get a basic knowledge of the coverage provided by your policy and the factors you can control to keep rates down. Many things that result in higher prices such as distracted driving and your credit history can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article provides ideas to help find cheaper rates and get discounts that may be available to you.
- Second, get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you find a better price and change companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide written notification to your current company to cancel your current policy. Submit a completed application and payment to the newly selected company. Be sure to safely store the proof of insurance paperwork in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A good piece of advice is that you’ll want to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to get price quotes from as many different companies as possible. This guarantees a level playing field and a thorough selection of prices.
Smart Consumers Know How to Quote Auto Insurance More Affordably
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that are used to determine your premiums. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower rates.
Certain vocations raise premiums – Jobs such as military personnel, police officers, and dentists generally have higher rates than average due to stressful work requirements and long work hours. On the flip side, jobs such as scientists, athletes and retirees pay the least.
Add-on coverages that may not be needed – There are a lot of optional add-on coverages that can add up on your auto insurance policy. Things like roadside assistance, high-cost glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage are probably not needed. They may seem good when deciding what coverages you need, but if you’ve never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
Low coverage deductibles mean high premiums – Protection for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your Subaru from damage. Some examples of covered claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, hail damage, or theft. The deductibles tell how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. The more of the claim you’re willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
Better prices on vehicles with better crash test results – Cars with five star safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety result in less severe injuries and reduced instances of injuries means less claims paid and lower rates for you.
Drive a fast car and pay more – The performance of the vehicle you drive makes a substantial difference in your rates. The cheapest rates are usually for small economy passenger cars, but your final cost has many other factors.
Deter theft and pay less – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent car theft.
Don’t abuse policy claims – If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Companies in Pennsylvania give cheaper rates to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. Auto insurance is intended for claims that pose a financial burden.
High premiums for teen drivers – Teenage drivers in Pennsylvania are statistically shown to be more careless when driving with friends therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a teen driver to your policy will cause a huge premium hike. Older insureds have been proven to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
Pittsburgh insurance discounts for a Subaru Baja
Car insurance is expensive, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Many discounts should be triggered at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be inquired about before being credited.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment could cut as much as 10% off with a few car insurance companies.
- Bundle and Save – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you may earn over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course in school.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Drivers who insure multiple cars or trucks on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and earn discounts up to 10% off your Pittsburgh car insurance quote.
- Driving Data Discount – Pittsburgh drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to monitor when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system such as State Farm’s In-Drive might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Successfully completing a safe driver course could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Senior Citizen Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive better car insurance rates.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of companies will provide an incentive shop Pittsburgh car insurance over the internet.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning a home in Pittsburgh may earn you a small savings because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
We need to note that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
Larger car insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are included below.
- GEICO has savings for air bags, emergency military deployment, seat belt use, multi-policy, defensive driver, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO may include discounts for anti-lock brakes, drive less, teen safe driver, multi-car, homeowner, and accident prevention training.
- State Farm may offer discounts for accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, safe vehicle, student away at school, multiple autos, good student, and defensive driving training.
- MetLife offers premium reductions for multi-policy, accident-free, defensive driver, good driver, good student, claim-free
- 21st Century offers discounts for student driver, driver training, homeowners, 55 and older, teen driver, air bags, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive offers discounts including continuous coverage, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, multi-policy, online signing, and multi-vehicle.
When comparing rates, check with each company the best way to save money. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be available in every state. To see a list of providers with discount rates in Pennsylvania, click here.
Compare but don’t skimp
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, but do not skimp to save money.
The cheapest Subaru Baja insurance in Pittsburgh is attainable on the web as well as from insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies don’t offer online price quotes and most of the time these regional carriers work with independent agents.
To learn more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Ford F-150 in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- How Much are Pittsburgh Auto Insurance Quotes for 18 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Self-driving cars won’t replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)