If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get low-cost Oldsmobile Bravada insurance in Pittsburgh is to regularly compare prices from providers in Pennsylvania. Prices can be compared by following these steps.
- Step 1: Get a basic knowledge of how auto insurance works and the things you can control to lower rates. Many things that result in higher prices like multiple speeding tickets and an unacceptable credit rating can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article provides additional ideas to get cheaper coverage and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your current policy premium and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find better rates, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy. Submit payment and a signed application for the new policy. As soon as you can, safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
An important note is to make sure you’re comparing the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get prices from every insurance company. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and the best rate selection.
Regrettably, almost 70% of insureds kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for four years or more, and 38% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. Most drivers in Pennsylvania can save about 55% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rate quotes.
Finding a lower price on insurance doesn’t have to be difficult. You just need to spend a few minutes to get quotes from different insurance companies.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in Pittsburgh, PA. To locate cheap car insurance in PA, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Why auto insurance is not optional
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Oldsmobile, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Oldsmobile for a much higher rate and make you pay the higher price.
- Auto insurance preserves your Oldsmobile Bravada and your assets. Insurance will also pay for many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. The average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $850 per year so it’s recommended you shop around once a year at a minimum to save money.
Eight Tips to Get Cheaper Pittsburgh Insurance Prices
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the factors that go into determining your premiums. If you know what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that could result in lower auto insurance prices.
The itemized list below are some of the things companies use to determine prices.
Save money by having multiple policies – Most larger auto insurance companies will give discounts to policyholders that buy multiple policies in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s always a smart idea to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.
Your address can push rates up or down – Residing in less populated areas of the country has definite advantages when insuring your vehicles. Residents of big cities regularly have much more traffic and more time behind the wheel. Lower population means fewer accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates.
Auto insurance policy lapses increase prices – Not having insurance is against the law and as a result your rates will increase for letting your insurance coverage expire. In addition to paying higher premiums, the inability to provide proof of insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine. You will then be forced to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Pennsylvania motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Liability insurance limits on your policy – Liability insurance is the coverage that protects you if ever a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage to defend your case. Liability is cheap compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
The type of car you drive affects your rates – The type of car you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a big difference in your car insurance bill. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars usually have the lowest premiums, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Consider raising comp and collision deductibles – Deductibles for physical damage tell how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. Physical damage protection, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply could be a windshield broken by a bird, fire damage, and damage from wind. The more money you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Drive a safer car and pay less – Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. Highly rated vehicles have better occupant injury protection and better occupant protection means lower claim amounts and thus lower rates.
Bad credit hurts insurance rates – Having a bad credit score is likely to be a major factor in calculating your premium rate. Drivers who have excellent credit scores tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with poor credit scores. If your credit is low, you could be paying less to insure your Oldsmobile Bravada by spending a little time repairing your credit.
Cheaper rates with these discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list both well-publicized and the more hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Pittsburgh auto insurance online.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Putting insurance coverage on a new Bravada can be considerably cheaper because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Sign Online – Certain insurance companies will provide an incentive get Pittsburgh auto insurance on the web.
- Cautious Driver Discounts – Safe drivers could pay up to 40% less as compared to drivers with claims.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may be able to get reduced rates.
- Memberships – Joining qualifying clubs or civic groups can get you a small discount on your next insurance statement.
- Distant Student – Youth drivers living away from Pittsburgh attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Data Collection Discounts – People who choose to allow their insurance company to analyze when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device like Allstate’s Drivewise might see lower rates as long as the data is positive.
Policy discounts save money, but most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
Popular insurance companies and some of the discounts are shown below.
- AAA may have discounts that include anti-theft, multi-policy, multi-car, education and occupation, good student, AAA membership discount, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts for continuous coverage, online signing, multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, and multi-policy.
- State Farm includes discounts for defensive driving training, multiple policy, good driver, good student, safe vehicle, and accident-free.
- Esurance has savings for defensive driver, good student, paid-in-full, Pac-12 alumni, safety device, homeowner, and DriveSense.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for good student, easy pay, accident-free, family plan, Farm Bureau membership, business or organization, and anti-theft.
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies how many discounts you can get. Some credits may not apply to policies everywhere.
Buying from car insurance agents
Some people just want to buy from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good agents are trained risk managers and give you someone to call. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get the best rates but also keep your business local. Buying insurance from local agents is still important in Pittsburgh.
Once you complete this short form, your information is transmitted to companies in Pittsburgh who will give you bids for your auto insurance coverage. There is no need to contact any agents because quoted prices will be sent to your email. If you want to compare rates from one company in particular, you would need to find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
If you are searching for a reputable agency, you should know the different types of agencies and how they function. Auto insurance policy providers are considered either exclusive or independent. Both types of agents can do a good job, but it’s good to learn the difference in how they write coverage because it can influence the selection process.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they quote lower rates, your policy is moved internally and you don’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing rate quotes, we recommend you contact a few independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most have the option of insuring with companies you’ve never heard of which may have better rates.
Featured below are Pittsburgh independent insurance agents who can help you get price quotes.
- Brown Insurance Agency
5001 Baum Blvd #515 – Pittsburgh, PA 15213 – (412) 681-7114 – View Map
- Masters Insurance Services
1719 Ardmore Blvd – Pittsburgh, PA 15221 – (412) 351-2448 – View Map
- Insurance Consultants Of Pittsburgh
300 Mt Lebanon Blvd – Pittsburgh, PA 15234 – (412) 344-2800 – View Map
Agents that choose to be exclusive write business for a single company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. They are unable to shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents receive a lot of sales training on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some consumers prefer to choose to use an exclusive agent primarily because of the brand rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Pittsburgh who can help you get price quote information.
- George O’Korn – State Farm Insurance Agent
4486 Steubenville Pike – Pittsburgh, PA 15205 – (412) 921-1182 – View Map
- Mike Newell – State Farm Insurance Agent
4772 Liberty Ave – Pittsburgh, PA 15224 – (412) 621-0600 – View Map
- Donna Fleming – State Farm Insurance Agent
11203 Frankstown Rd – Pittsburgh, PA 15235 – (412) 242-5995 – View Map
Choosing an insurance agency shouldn’t rely on just a cheap quote. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Pittsburgh?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Pennsylvania?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
Ratings for Pennsylvania auto insurance companies
Choosing the top auto insurance company is hard considering how many companies sell coverage in Pittsburgh. The ranking data shown next can help you analyze which auto insurance companies to look at when shopping your coverage around.
Top 10 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies Overall
- The General
- Titan Insurance
- The Hartford
- State Farm
- Farmers Insurance
- Erie Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
Do the work, save more money
Some insurance providers don’t offer rate quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers work with local independent agents. Cheaper Oldsmobile Bravada insurance in Pittsburgh can be purchased both online and also from your neighborhood Pittsburgh agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture.
While you’re price shopping online, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, an insured cut physical damage coverage only to discover later that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, but do not skimp to save money.
We’ve covered many tips how you can shop for Oldsmobile Bravada insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Much more information about insurance in Pennsylvania can be read at the links below
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Kia Forte in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Ride Shares in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)