Unfortunately, the vast majority of insurance customers have been with the same company for over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. Pennsylvania consumers could cut their rates by $700 a year just by comparing rates, but they think it’s difficult to find lower-cost rates by getting comparison quotes.
Really, the only way to find lower priced Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance is to do an annual price comparison from insurers who provide auto insurance in Pittsburgh.
First, try to learn about what is in your policy and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that result in higher rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and an imperfect credit rating can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes for many different companies.
Third, compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, notify your current company of your decision to cancel your existing policy. Submit a down payment along with a signed application for the new policy. Once received, store the proof of insurance paperwork somewhere easily accessible.
The key thing to remember is that you use the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get prices from as many companies as you can. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
If you’re already insured or are just looking to switch companies, use these techniques to cut your premiums without having to cut coverage. Quoting the lowest cost policy in Pittsburgh is not that difficult. Comparison shoppers just have to know the most efficient way to find the lowest price instantly.
Reducing your insurance rates is not a difficult process. You just need to take time comparing free Pittsburgh car insurance quotes online with multiple companies.
The following companies are our best choices to provide quotes in Pittsburgh, PA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you click on several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Even though Pittsburgh SLS AMG insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle may not be optional for several reasons.
First, most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Pennsylvania these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your SLS AMG, most banks will require you to buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Mercedes-Benz for a lot more money and force you to pay the higher price.
Third, insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It also can pay for medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Pittsburgh is wasting up to $855 a year so it’s recommended you shop around once a year at a minimum to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Lower-cost Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance quotes in Pittsburgh
Some companies don’t always list all discounts very well, so the next list breaks down both well-publicized and the harder-to-find ways to save on insurance.
- Government Employee Discount – Employees or retirees of the government may reduce rates when you quote Pittsburgh car insurance with select insurance companies.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 are able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Waiver for an Accident – This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like GEICO, Allstate and Liberty Mutual will allow you to have one accident without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Passive Restraints – Options like air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Safe Driver Discount – Accident-free drivers can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Telematics Devices – Policyholders that allow driving data submission to analyze where and when they drive by installing a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm might see lower rates if their driving habits are good.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
A list of insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts can be read below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for seat belt use, military active duty, membership and employees, good student, and driver training.
- MetLife may have discounts that include defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, claim-free, good driver, accident-free
- State Farm has discounts for defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, multiple autos, student away at school, good student, and multiple policy.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, online signing, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for ease of repair, anti-theft, multi-policy, good student, professional/association, and good driver.
- 21st Century has savings for automatic seat belts, air bags, 55 and older, early bird, and student driver.
- Allstate may include discounts for farm vehicle, good student, resident student, auto/life discount, and passive restraint.
When quoting, ask all the companies which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts might not be offered in Pittsburgh. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Pittsburgh, click here to view.
Local agents and insurance
Some consumers prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! Insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get lower prices but also keep your business local. And supporting neighborhood agents is important particularly in Pittsburgh.
By using this simple form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to insurance agents in Pittsburgh who will gladly provide quotes for your business. There is no need to leave your computer because prices are sent immediately to you. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, you can always navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Pittsburgh for you
When narrowing the list to find a local Pittsburgh insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agents from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Pittsburgh are categorized either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both types can sell insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the difference in the companies they write for because it can influence which type of agent you select.
Agents of this type do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If premiums increase, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most have the option of insuring with smaller companies which can be an advantage.
The following are Pittsburgh independent insurance agents who can help you get price quote information.
- Rodgers Andrew F Insurance Agency Inc
Foster Plaza V, 651 Holiday Dr – Pittsburgh, PA 15220 – (412) 922-1651 – View Map
- Casto Insurance Agency
1900 Painters Run Rd – Pittsburgh, PA 15241 – (412) 257-4300 – View Map
- Insurance Consultants Of Pittsburgh
300 Mt Lebanon Blvd – Pittsburgh, PA 15234 – (412) 344-2800 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents are contracted to one company and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are usually well trained in insurance sales which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers sometimes buy from the same agent for years partially due to the brand name and strong financial ratings.
Below are Pittsburgh exclusive agents that can give you rate quotes.
- Darla Zeli – State Farm Insurance Agent
2513 E Carson St – Pittsburgh, PA 15203 – (412) 431-7166 – View Map
- Steve Long – State Farm Insurance Agent
2830 W Liberty Ave – Pittsburgh, PA 15216 – (412) 531-5600 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Thomas Bianco
1154 Freeport Rd – Pittsburgh, PA 15238 – (412) 967-7655 – View Map
Selecting an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. A good agent in Pittsburgh will have answers to these questions.
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Where are claims handled?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- If they are an independent agency in Pittsburgh, which companies do they recommend?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
Best car insurance company in Pittsburgh
Choosing the highest-rated car insurance provider can be rather challenging considering how many different insurance companies sell coverage in Pittsburgh. The rank data in the next section may help you pick which auto insurance companies to look at comparing price quotes from.
Top 10 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- 21st Century
Top 10 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- The General
- The Hartford
- Titan Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- 21st Century
- Safeco Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
Do I need special coverages?
Always keep in mind that when comparing proper insurance coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Is my camper covered for physical damage?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
If you can’t answer these questions, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
Car insurance 101
Understanding the coverages of car insurance can be of help when determining the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.
Due to the fact that many Pennsylvania drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (15/30/5 in Pennsylvania), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently these limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Collision coverage – This coverage will pay to fix damage to your SLS AMG caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things like crashing into a ditch, crashing into a building and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your SLS AMG to save money on collision insurance.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – This covers damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as falling objects, fire damage and hail damage. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Medical expense insurance – Med pay and PIP coverage pay for bills for pain medications, EMT expenses, doctor visits and X-ray expenses. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover both the driver and occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Liability coverages – This coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 15/30/5 which means a limit of $15,000 per injured person, $30,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for claims like legal defense fees, repair costs for stationary objects and structural damage. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but buy higher limits if possible. Pennsylvania requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The chart below demonstrates why low liability limits may not be enough coverage.
You can find cheaper coverage
People switch companies for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, questionable increases in premium, lack of trust in their agent or even unfair underwriting practices. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching car insurance companies is actually quite simple.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to get a better price on Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG insurance in Pittsburgh. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost while still protecting your assets.
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Dodge Ram in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Pittsburgh Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Hyundai Elantra in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Pittsburgh Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record? (FAQ)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)