It’s amazing but nearly 70% of drivers have remained with the same insurance company for over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Consumers in Pittsburgh can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they underestimate the benefits if they switch to a new company.
It takes a little time, but the best way to find better pricing on auto insurance rates in Pittsburgh is to start comparing prices regularly from companies who sell auto insurance in Pennsylvania.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of the different coverages in a policy and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that cause rate increases such as at-fault accidents and a low credit rating can be controlled by paying attention to minor details.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote prices for a wide range of companies. View prices
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available in Pittsburgh. If you can save money and change companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Tell your current agent or company of your intent to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment and signed policy application for your new policy. As soon as you receive it, store the proof of insurance paperwork in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
An important bit of advice to remember is to use the same coverage limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and a complete price analysis.
Get lower-cost rates by earning these five discounts
Companies don’t always publicize every discount very well, so we researched both the well known and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Government Employee Discount – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with some car insurance companies.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts as much as 30%.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Pittsburgh drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to spy on driving patterns remotely like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm might get better premium rates if they are good drivers.
- Resident Student – College-age children who live away from home to go to college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Student Driver Training – Teen drivers should complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
Don’t be shocked that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
A list of car insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- GEICO includes discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, federal employee, seat belt use, military active duty, and anti-theft.
- MetLife offers discounts for accident-free, good student, good driver, defensive driver, multi-policy, claim-free
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, good student, homeowner, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including early quote, save driver, continuous insurance, driver training, home ownership, and payment discounts.
- SAFECO discounts include safe driver, bundle discounts, multi-car, accident prevention training, teen safe driver, and homeowner.
- AAA may offer discounts for multi-car, multi-policy, good driver, good student, AAA membership discount, and education and occupation.
When comparing rates, check with every company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in your state. For a list of companies who offer discounts in Pennsylvania, click here.
All the larger car insurance companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm allow consumers to get coverage prices from their websites. Comparing Tesla Model S insurance rates online is fairly straightforward because it’s just a matter of typing in the coverages you want on the page. After the form is submitted, their system will order credit information and your driving record and generates pricing information. Getting online quotes for Tesla Model S insurance in Pittsburgh streamlines rate comparisons, and it is imperative to get many rate quotes if you want to get lower-cost car insurance pricing.
To quickly fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, check out the car insurance providers below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you complete the form with your coverages exactly as they are listed on your policy. Doing this guarantees you will have a rate comparison for similar coverage.
The companies shown below can provide price quotes in Pittsburgh, PA. In order to find the best cheap car insurance in Pennsylvania, we suggest you get prices from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Do I just need basic coverages?
Always remember that when buying insurance from an agent or online, there is no cookie cutter policy. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions might help in determining if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Pennsylvania?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
When to have guidance from an insurance agency
Many drivers just want to buy from a licensed agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Good agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from and supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in Pittsburgh.
Once you complete this simple form, the coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in Pittsburgh that give free quotes to get your business. You don’t have to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you need to compare prices from a specific auto insurance provider, just navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
If you want to use a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are two types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Agents in Pittsburgh can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both types of agents can sell auto insurance policies, but it’s important to know the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage through many different auto insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. If prices rise, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to find a new agent.
If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you will want to include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to maximize your price options.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Pittsburgh that may be able to give you price quote information.
Exclusive agencies can usually just insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are not able to compare other company’s rates so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agencies are well trained on what they offer which can be an advantage.
Below is a list of exclusive agents in Pittsburgh who can help you get rate quotes.
Selecting an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Where would glass claims be handled in Pittsburgh?
- How long has their agency been open in Pittsburgh?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
After getting good responses to any questions you have as well as offering an affordable quote, it’s a good possibility that you have found a car insurance agent that is professional and can insure your vehicles. Just understand that you can cancel your policy at any time so never assume that you’re stuck with your new company for a certain time period.
What is the best car insurance company in Pittsburgh?
Selecting a highly-rated auto insurance company can be difficult considering how many companies are available to choose from in Pittsburgh. The information shown next may help you pick which companies you want to consider buying from.
Top 10 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- 21st Century
Car insurance coverages for a Tesla Model S
Understanding the coverages of insurance aids in choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage pays for damage to your Model S from colliding with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things like scraping a guard rail, colliding with another moving vehicle and crashing into a building. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your Model S in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Liability auto insurance
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to other’s property or people that is your fault. It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 15/30/5 that means you have a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers things such as medical services, court costs, medical expenses and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Pennsylvania state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The next chart shows why buying minimum limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Medical expense coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for expenses such as prosthetic devices, dental work, funeral costs, EMT expenses and surgery. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Tesla Model S.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as damage from getting keyed, falling objects, rock chips in glass and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The highest amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Shop around and save
When you buy Pittsburgh car insurance online, never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced full coverage only to regret at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate, but do not skimp to save money.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, not issuing a premium refund or even delays in responding to claim requests. Whatever your reason, finding a new car insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
We covered a lot of information how to find cheaper Tesla Model S insurance in Pittsburgh. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies.
Additional information is available below:
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Nissan Sentra in Pittsburgh? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Pittsburgh Auto Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Traverse? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Pittsburgh Auto Insurance Rates for First-time Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Pittsburgh Auto Insurance for Teenage Females? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Tools for Teen Driving Safety (State Farm)